RES Begins Building Wind Farm in Kansas Owned by GE and Enel
The Buffalo Dunes project southwest of Garden City, Kansas, will use 135 GE wind turbines, Broomfield Colorado-based RES Americas said today in a statement. Southern Co. (SO)’s Alabama Power utility has agreed to buy “most of the electricity” for 20 years, RES said.
GE unit GE Energy Financial Services acquired a 51 percent stake in the $370 million project from Enel Green Power North America for $40 million and is funding construction, Kossara Marchinkova, an Enel spokeswoman, said in a phone interview. Enel is investing $180 million and owns the remaining 49 percent, she said.
Buffalo Dunes is expected to be completed by December, GE said April 8.